Date:
Mon, 4 May 2009 14:38:37 GMT
A friend with a single hive called me yesterday with a question.  His bees overwintered well and cast the primary swarm in the last few days.  He's gone through his hive to find over 20 mostly intact, sealed queens cells.  He also found two virgin queens emerged and walking on the frames.  The hive is quite populous.

He asked me what he should do.  I advised him to leave everything alone and let the virgins duke it out since the forecast calls for rain and cool temps over the next few days.  My thinking is they won't throw afterswarms.  Since the bees are letting the virgins out of the cells, I think only one will remain alive shortly.

What has been your experience with afterswarms?  Does inclement weather limit afterswarming?

Waldemar