ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stephen Uzzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 07:44:42 -0400

Jack -
Thanks for chronicling this is so much detail. It is encouraging that
it is happing in a church and not a classroom. My main question is:
Did he call it science? As long as he did not call it science, or try
to affect political or education leaders into making laws and policies
around Creationism, it is hard to find fault, as scary as it is.

I spent a few years duking it out with the Creationistas in my home
school district. The big mistake they made was calling Creationism a
science, so when I brought the ACLU in they argued "preaching, not
teaching" on school grounds with school district funds. The district
withdrew from their preposterous position that it was free speech.
Apparently the proponents of this "Creation Science" (sorry about the
alliteration), had threatened to sue the district on free speech
grounds. And this was just a continuing education course!! Not
surprisingly, Henry Morris' book "What is Creation Science" was the
"textbook" used in the course.

If such a scenario presents itself to you in your situation, I suggest
keeping out of the argument about any of the fine points of what is
true or whose truth is truer. As you suggest, they have been
impeccably trained to refute any reasonable scientific argument with
prattle that is neither sound religiously, nor scientifically, but the
"just so" stories that have characterized this group of con men (and
they are usually men). The things they spout will just as well set
sound theologians guffawing as they do sound scientists.

BUT, the laws that founded this country are capable of routing these
creatures from our midst, and have consistently done so throughout our
history, we just have to use them properly for them to work. Yes, it
is a pain in the butt to have to waste time and energy keeping  the
lions out of our camp that could be used to bring our children out of
ignorance, but that is a reality and is part of the journey. Godspeed!

Stephen Miles Uzzo
New York Hall of Science
47-01 111th Street
Flushing Meadows Corona Park, NY 11368