ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Wayne Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2008 08:40:08 -0700

Thanks for the info. I wish I had thought about this a few months ago
when I was in NYC; however, the science festival that was held in NYC
looks like it may be held again next year. I could see coming back for
that, so maybe I'll return and see your exhibit too. Just a top notch
exhibit.

I was at the Seattle World's Fair and returned to Seattle several times
over the years. I made a point to return to the exhibit until finally it
just disappeared. When I first walked up to the Fair building, I
remember being almost stunned by the quincunx display outside. I'll have
to go through my slides of that trip and see what I have. I recall
taking a lot of pictures. I do recall seeing the Boston exhibit about
7-8 years ago.

I think the Wikipedia entry for Mathematica mentions Atlanta, or the
Eames page.  The latter looks a bit out of date. I go the impression the
Eames Foundation (?) is slowly  dissolving. I tried getting a single
display from them 8 years ago, and it seemed a bit of a mystery what
they were thinking, although I had a few useful responses.

It seems to me that about 4 years ago, someone built a math exhibit
around San Jose*. The fellow behind it had made some interesting
contributions to math. California needs a math boost right now. Recently
Arnie directed to state to make algebra a required class again.
Yesterday, I saw a front page article in our small town paper that the
local schools need help at the teacher level. We have a very good HS
here, but somehow it appears math has slipped through the cracks there
at the 7-8th grade level.

* I keep all my old e-mail, and know I wrote about it to some folks.
I'll see if I can dig it up.

--

                 "Science is what we do, when we don't know
                  what we are doing" -- Alvaro de Rujula

                    Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>