HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
paul courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2009 12:10:42 +0000
The problem is there is plenty of good practice but every profession has
its power structures and people tend to appoint people like themselves.
I trained as both an archeologist and historian but this is often not
easy given the structure of courses. Both disciplines need time and
experience to become competent - though most of the rest of the list
don't have to work on medieval latin documents. To take history it is
not just a matter of understanding documents but you also need to have a
grasp of the literature and intellctual baggage of historians. I have
often done work for archaeologists with my historians hat on but it is
not without problems. Given a briefing meeting they will invariably list
a number of wants which are very specific but  none of which are
realsitic. I have to explain that it is probably contexualisng their
site within the wider landscape and long-term economic and social
patterns which is most effective and anything else is a bonus. Another
problem i have is there is a tendency for archeologists at least in the
UK to want everything eplained in tangible physical terms when
jurisditial terms ued by historians e.g manor, feudal and borough are
often not spatially tangible.When the documents do shed totally new
light on the site their reaction can vary from grateful amazement to a
sort of resentment. To give balance I have to say historians can be
equally a a pain in different ways often by refusing to admit
archaeological eveidence is of any value or refusing to read anything
written by archaeologists- sorry mustn't get resentful here- no what the
heck I am.  I have to say my pals (and enemies) are equally split
between the two disciplines.