HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 2009 15:57:51 EST
Tom,

Good to hear from you again. I thought to make the SCA, but Dale got sick
and I cannot get away.

No one knows for sure where the floor and roof tiles were fired. Russ
Skoroneck took sampels from Mission San Diego, the Presidio, Mission San Luis  Rey,
Mission San Juan Capistrano, and Fort Guijarros and sent them off to the
Smithsonian for comparison. Of course, those were teensy samples considering
zillions of tiles were used to build and repair those buildings between 1782 and
1835. Most of the complete tiles at the Presidio and Fort Guijarros were
salvaged for Old Town or the U.S. Lighthouse in 1853. What I recall is the Tizon
Brown Ware from Fort Guijarros matched local clay and roof tile from Mission
San  Luis Rey (wowza!). But you will have to talk to Russ to find out about the
roof  and wall tiles. I have seen no evidence of tile manufacturing for these
Spanish  sites after abandonment in 1835, but who knows?

I expect most of the tiles used in 1820s-1830s houses in Old Town used
salvaged tiles. After the Americans arrived in the mid 1840s, building materials
changed and tile making probably terminated by 1850. But there has not been a
comprehensive study.

What is your interest?

Ron

In a message dated 3/6/2009 12:08:12 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,