From:
Bill Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 2009 07:46:19 -0400
Hello all,
Does anyone have any experience in finding a foot valve which would work for
pulling honey up two feet out of a 'pit sump' with a progressive cavity pump?
I'm having a problem with the pump loosing prime. I do have a shut-off valve
just above the highest honey line and a tee so that re-priming is relatively
quick and easy.
One of my concerns about using a foot valve the ability to open it manually
when we need to reverse honey flow in order to re-prime. This occurs when
the extracting crew mistakenly runs the pump dry and the pump looses prime.
Is a ball type or flapper type valve preferrable over a poppet valve? What
about wax and debris preventing the valve to close? (Gunness Uncapper)
In short, I need a foot valve that opens with minimal suction; allows a good
flow of honey to pass; is able to close relatively well considering wax
cappings; and one that you can hold it open when necessary.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bill Russell

fyi - a foot valve is a check valve at the end of a suction pipe