Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2009 22:18:34 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (11 lines)
   Have been reading the post on BEE-L for a few months now and find it very interesting. I'm in search for the 10 major essential amino acids necessary for complete bee nutrition. I went to the archives and no match. Would someone direct me to that information.   Thanks,

Clyde> Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 08:04:08 -0800> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: [BEE-L] HFCS (was candy Boards-add pollen supplement ? for Randy> To: [log in to unmask]> > > >I was thinking of using a well known pollen supplement as a cell rearing> > stimulant seeing as it had "all the 10 major type proteins necessary for> > complete bee nutrition"> > > Hi John, just for clarification, proteins are made from amino acids, and> certain amino acids are called "essential amino acids" for a particular> species, since they cannot create proteins without them. Dr. DeGroot> identified 10 essential amino acids for bees.> > On one major suppliers website, they are listed, but not as DeGroot listed> them. He listed their necessary percentages relative to tryptophan, which> he set at a value of 1.> > I suggested to a major bee nutritionist some time ago that queen cell> starters would be a fasttrack way of testing pollen substitutes. The common> wisdom is that you need natural pollen. However, I recently spoke with a> queen producer who got great results with a home brew formula. I plan to> test this myself in a month.> > Please note that it may only take a small amount of natural pollen, gathered> by the foragers, to allow bees to use a supplement efficiently. Indeed, in> the Bakersfield trial, MegaBee outperformed natural pollen alone . In that> trial, there would have been a scant amount of natural pollen available, but> it was apparently enough to supplement the MegaBee.> > Unfortunately, the report of this trial was Bowdlerized, since a major> manufacturer didn't want to have their name mentioned (JAR 47(4):265). So> the tested formulas are not named, nor the ingredients mentioned. I'm> surprised that it even got published!> > Randy Oliver> > *******************************************************> * Search the BEE-L archives at: *> * http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?S1=bee-l *> *******************************************************
* Search the BEE-L archives at:                       *
* http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?S1=bee-l *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2