From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 2009 12:20:52 +0000
Hi Jim

>> It is possible for a Langstroth frame to be built out in
>> about one hour from a pencil thickness bead of wax,
>
> Isn't this merely because that "pencil thickness" of wax
> is all the wax needed to draw out the entire frame?

Yes, but it shows the work rate that the bees can achieve.

In UK a sheet of brood foundation to fit our size of brood frame weighs
51 grams, which is exactly the weight of an entire fresh drawn comb of
that size.

Sheets of foundation are not drawn as fast as that, but you can speed up
comb drawing by cutting holes in the foundation...
http://dave-cushman.net/bee/applecorer.html

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://melliferabees.net Email: [log in to unmask]
Short FallBack M/c, Build 7.21/2.01