ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jeff Courtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 16:11:28 -0500

Diane:

Kasey put it more eloquently than I perhaps can.  Still, your attack
was rather vitriolic and disparaging, and having a graduate degree in
art, I wanted to put my two cents in.....Uninformed, of course.  I
was only trained as an artist.

Luckily, you weren't the hiring supervisor when I sneaked into the
field ( somehow I've managed to stay in  for 20 years now, staying
below the radar, as it were).  Even though I'm an exhibit geek at
heart, I find myself more allied with learning facilitators (I abhor
the word 'educator' in a museum setting) because I want to be part of
the process of setting the stage for learning.

Personally, I'll take the educator/teacher/facilitator who shares a
passion for curiosity, recognizes their own limits - after all, the
world is a pretty darn big place - who'll act more as a tour guide
rather than an omniscient scholar.

Your arguments are precisely why I get the heebie-jeebies when
someone mentions standards for museum educators.  In my world there
is room for both the scholar and the dilettante - and of course I
count myself as one of the later.   In my world, I prefer discourse
rather than pronouncements.

Aspiring to the level of 4th grade science,

Jeff Courtman, MFA, and darn proud of it......

Jeff Courtman
Director of Exhibit Development
Museumscapes
Office:  972.231.0002