From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2009 10:30:27 EST
Chris

We did some work this fall, reported on it at CA Beekeepers.  Using a  high
end thermal imaging camera, we shook, opened, and did a variety of things  to
beehives in cold weather in Montana.  In every case, the camera revealed  that
when disturbed in cold weather, a colony almost immediately starts  generating
more heat, and will do so for some time after the disturbance.

So, the colony seems to protect itself from the cold, even when a lid is
removed and frames pulled out.  Simply banging a hive about caused the same  heat
increase.

So, your bees will probably turn up the thermostat when you move them  in
cold weather.  That obviously causes them to accelerate consumption of  honey,
but it seems like they generate heat to buffer themselves against  chill.

Jerry
**************Stay up-to-date on the latest news - from fashion trends to
celebrity break-ups and everything in between.
(http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000024)