From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 2008 08:46:45 -0800

> >As I understand it, the arid central valley of Cal. may be too dry for
> beetles to run amok. Is this so? Maybe you could comment, Randy.

You got it correct, Kirk!  They are now endemic in the more humid areas near
the San Francisco Bay.  But they appear to be unable to reproduce in the dry
valley and foothill areas.  The beetles in imported colonies just disappear
over the course of a year.

> > It's amazing how much feed is required once the bees get brooding up.

Again, you hit the nail on the head!  It is not uncommon for your strongest
colonies to starve overnight in the almonds during full bloom.  This can
happen if they are not heavy with stores, and you get a few days of rain.

Randy Oliver