From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 2008 08:26:52 +1000
Randy replied

>> >Looking at Seely's paper I see that he used four (4) in the brood
>> >chambers
>> and then in one lot had drone comb above the excluder as well.
>

> In the US, unlike in Australia, most beeks use a double deep brood
> chamber,
> and *then* maybe an excluder under the honey supers.

I understand this but why did Seely use four combs and not say one as in
your case or two as in Nick Calderone's case?  Was it a case of more is
better?

> That's why I made the point that there is likely an optimum "time" (mite
> level?) to perform drone brood removal.

In my case when I put in the drone comb in July to start rearing drones for
our queen rearing operation, I find that the queen does not normally lay
eggs in the other small patches of drone brood in the corners of frames.
She will lay up the inserted comb but not these other areas.  Is it a case
that when you insert your drone comb, these other drone areas are not being
laid hence there is a slower build up of varroa.  It is not until these
other areas of drones start producing varroa that it then becomes worthwhile
to take out your drone comb?

I noted in Calderone's work, referenced from your website, that he
recommends freezing the drone comb and then giving back to the hive.  He
says this feeding on the dead drone larvae may allow the colony to recoup
much of its investment in the drone brood.  If this is the case, then it
would help those who have posted and talk about loss of stores, nectar and
pollen, that were used to rear the drones that were cut out and destroyed.

> Glad to see that some of you Aussies are paying attention, Trevor!  :-)

Well they tell us it is not if but when.  So like the boy scouts, be
prepared.  Best to glean as much from those at the frontline so I am ready
for the attack.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA