From:
Dick Marron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:35:10 -0400
Peter Borst wrote:

>>> If you don't have AFB, and you use terramycin, it prevents it. For
example, your hive robs a sick one and brings back spore laden honey. The
terramycin prevents an infection from developing. The spores are eventually
eliminated by house-cleaning.<<<<<

This sounds good but how would you ever know they were eliminated? You are
thus stuck treating forever. And stuck incubating resistant AFB

>>>TM is used to treat advanced infections.<<<<

In your scenario there would not be any

Why. Throw away some comb and treat. It clears up.

Resistance develops when the occasionally germinating spores grow up with a
low level background of TM to exist in. Such as is provided when the wax and
the whole hive become imbued with the drug. Eventually hardier animals make
it. Nature has eternity.

it works on light infections.<<<<

Cases are either clinical or sub-clinical. If you see it, it's clinical. If
it (TM) works, it works. If you shake the bees to new comb you have a light
infection.

>>> OK, no need to use TM. But if you don't you will have to destroy what
cases of AFB you encounter. Personally, I try to prevent that.<<<<

What you are preventing is the possibility of recognizing bees that can
handle the infection. This is how we got where we are, with resistant AFB.
Tylosin will become a fading bullet too since it is already being used as
you recommend for Terra. Can't we learn. As was mentioned: Better to treat
piecemeal and change the queen and try again for a better bee.

Dick Marron