From:
Mike Bassett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2008 07:32:42 -0400
on Tue, 9/30/08, Nicholas Doumanoff <[log in to unmask]> wrotereceived
notice from their homeowners insurance that they are
>being dropped due to a "home made bee-hive" on the property.

 when I first started beekeeping long time ago, my wife worked for our
insurance company. Had her check if we were covered for the bees on the
property. You would be amazed at what you are not covered for including
bees. If its not specificly mentioned in the policy they don't or will not
cover you.  I was the first person in town back then that got an
inspection of my wood stove, insurance would not cover if not inspected,
but they don't tell you that.
 when I still had bees in Mass and Conn. I had been having to move the
hives do to insurance companies threating do drop the home owner's
insurance if the bees remained.
 moving to N.Y. trying to get insurance, contacted Geico, in the process
of getting insurance, asked about bees on the property, they hung up on me.
called back and explained no bees on property, they said they would do
random checks and drop up if we had bees. And I have a bee insurance
policy on the bees.

easiest method I found was to join Farm bureau and get there insurance.

mike syracuse