From:
Donald Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2008 16:27:52 -0800
Janos Gereben wrote:

> [He was among THE conductors of my callow - and Sovietized - youth, and
> frankly, I didn't realize he is still active...]
>
>  http://www.classical.net/news/2008/11/rozhdestvensky-upset-with-bso.php

I'm not surprised by any of this.  Marketing people love to dumb
down the audience, instead of spreading the word (in this case) that
Rozhdestvensky is one of the greatest living conductors.  Not long ago
here in Des Moines there was a lot of fuss in the local rag about Midori
coming to town, not a word about what she was going to play, not that I
saw anyway.  If I'd known it was going to be the Shostakovich 1st concerto
I'd have been there.  People of the periphery of the arts are often worse
than ignorant, because they dion't know that they don't know anything.

Donald Clarke
http://www.donaldclarkemusicbox.com