HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 2009 09:46:04 +0100
Generally I get the impression that almost all of the weblists where I have
membership are slowly dying: could it be because of things like twitter,
facebook, etc.? or more effective spam filters?
Or did we just sort of get tired of things like flaming, pedantry, etc.?
On the other hand, it sometimes seems that, by increasing the amount of
information we bombard ourselves with daily, and by ever increasing its
triviality (what is it? 144 characters max on twitter? You can't get very
profound in a 20-minute lecture, let alone 144 characters) and
superficiality, we don't really get a chance to think things through, or
concentrate on what's really important...
I'm just trying to figure, though, what "publish or perish" might mean in
the age of blogs, tweeting & social networking...