HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allen Dart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2009 20:42:10 -0700
[Apologies for cross-posting.]

I am writing out of concern about Dwight Riggs, who is a member of Old
Pueblo Archaeology Center and other heritage organizations. This past
Thursday, Jan. 29, Tucson’s Arizona Daily Star newspaper reported that
Dwight has been missing since at least Monday Jan. 26. The article can be
found online at:

http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/277920.php

Dwight had registered for all three of Old Pueblo’s Picture Rocks property
archaeological survey field school sessions that began in January. When he
didn't show up for our first session on January 17, I tried calling him to
see if he remembered he was registered, but got no answer. I tried calling
him again last weekend to remind him that he's registered for Old Pueblo’s
Feb. 15 survey session, but again got no answer.

When I saw the story in the newspaper this past Thursday about him being
missing, I called the Pima County Sheriff's Department to let the
department know that I had expected Dwight to come out for our survey on
Jan. 17, but that he didn’t show up and I wasn’t able to reach him that
day or last weekend. I suggested to the sergeant who took my call that
Dwight might have come out to the Picture Rocks area and gone hiking early
on the morning of Jan. 17, before the rest of my survey group and I had
arrived, but I didn't know what kind of car Dwight drives so I couldn't
say if his car was there or not. The sergeant then told me that Dwight's
car was still at his house, so it seems unlikely that he went to Picture
Rocks on the 17th. From perspective, therefore, Dwight has been missing
since January 17.

Another Old Pueblo member who also knows Dwight informed me today that the
sheriff’s department apparently has given up searching for him. They say
both of his vehicles are still at his house and his backpack has
disappeared. This member said Dwight likes to hike into the mountains
behind his house, but Pima County Search and Rescue has covered a 12 mile
grid around his house with no luck. The Sheriff's Dept. is now asking for
anyone who knows Dwight to spread the word to find out if anyone has been
in contact with Dwight since January 17, or might know of any favorite
places he might have gone to.

If any of you have any suggestions or knowledge about Dwight’s
whereabouts, please call the Pima County (Arizona) Sheriff's Dept. at
Tucson telephone no. 351-6911 or tollfree at 1-888-477-2328.

Dwight, if you’re out there and checking your email, please check in so we
can know you’re OK.

Regards,

Allen Dart, RPA, Executive Director
Old Pueblo Archaeology Center