From:
Stephen Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2008 21:06:27 -0700
I was about to acclaim Muti's series of recordings of Cherubini's masses
-- hardly standard rep, and quite wonderful -- when I thought to check
Archiv Music under conductors for a list of his recordings. All are
pretty standard, except for an intriguing disc of Martucci. Worry: there
are no living composers except Rota and Bernard Rands, and no Americans
except Rands and Vincent Persichetti. This may reflect more on the
recording labels than Muti's tastes, but . . . .

The big debate over his operatic recordings is his insistence on doing
"everything" (reputedly) come scritta, thus denying us our favorite
interpolated high notes and flying in the face of well established
traditions. Intellectual rigor, or pedantry?

Stephen Adams
Department of English
University of Western Ontario