Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2008 06:25:36 -0800
> I posted two URL's about this, but Aaron didn't publish them.

You don't say why, but I am sure he had a good reason.  Perhaps they came up
404 or were deformed, or the message was otherwise unacceptable?

> http://home.euphonynet.be/archief_bijen/gezondheid/inhibitionAF.pdf
> http://home.euphonynet.be/archief_bijen/gezondheid/inhibitionAF2.pdf

Thank you for the URLS.  I will quote the relevant part here to save others
from the need of downloading and skimming, and comment below.

--- begin excerpt ---

The  antimicrobial activity of fatty acids and their derivatives,  mainly
soaps, has previously  been  demonstrated  and  reviewed (see Kabara, 1978;
and references there-in).  While  linoleic  acid  is  an  important membrane
constituent  of  most  ascomy-cete fungi  (Weete, 1974, 1980), our isolation
of linoleic acid from A  apis as an anti-microbial  agent is  an interesting
example of how  one  bee  pathogen -  the fungus  that causes chalkbrood
disease - produces a ubiquitous  compound  that  inhibits  the growth of a
competing bacterial pathogen.

A related fatty  acid, termed laetisaric acid (8-hydroxylinoleic acid),  has
been isolated from  a  basidiomycete  fungus  that  has been shown to be
fungicidal toward sever-al  plant  pathogenic  fungi  (Bowers  et  al,
1986). Currently in  the United States, onlyoxytetracycline  is  approved
by the  Food and Drug  Administration (FDA)  for the control  of  both
foulbrood  diseases  of  honey bee  (Shimanuki, 1990). The  activity of
linoleic  acid  against  foulbrood  bacteria  may form  the basis of a new,
effective and inexpensive  control.

MF  Feldlaufer   DA  Knox  WR Lusby    H  Shimanuki

--- end excerpt ---

The research is interesting in that the aim is to find a substance to use as
a treatment for AFB.  For those who might think that this somehow proves
something about the balance of microorganisms in hives, it does nothing of
the kind.

It is widely known that various micro-organisms are constantly generating a
variety of chemicals (oh!  oh!) that have negative effects on competing
organisms.  Actually one way new antibiotics are discovered is by taking a
shovelful of dirt and investigating what the various 'bugs' in the sample
are doing to one another, and what chemicals they are producing.
Occasionally one of those chemicals proves to be useful in that it is
minimally toxic to an animal and maximally toxic to a pathogen.  Then we
have oxytet or Fumigillan.  Linoleic acid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linoleic_acid is not a particularly strong
agent AFAK, nor is it likely to be highly targeted.

I realise that some might like to read things into this straightforward
piece of work, but all it really says is that there is a potential to use
linoleic acid for AFB control.  It says nothing about the allegedly perfect
and mystical natural state of the many organisms, both beneficial and
pathological, inside any given beehive.

I suppose one could extrapolate the work to deduce that it may be possible
that a particular larva should not be expected to succumb to both AFB and
chalkbrood.

Maybe I should know, but who is WR Lusby? http://tinyurl.com/5j6o89

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/
---
Wise men profit more from fools than fools from wise men; for the wise men
shun the mistakes of fools, but fools do not imitate the successes of the
wise.
Cato the Elder (234 BC - 149 BC), from Plutarch, Lives