Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 2009 18:32:38 -0600
>>He's using the liquid nitrogen test. This isn't available to most
>>beekeepers.

Actually, liquid nitrogen can be carried around in a normal thermos.  Just
don't stopper it tightly.  This has been much discussed here.

> I have had a fair amount of experience with this test and I can tell you
> that I would not base evaluation on it alone (nor pins, etc.).

This is a *surrogate* test for some hygienic aspects of disease and maybe
pest resistance and does not detect other behaviours or traits that can
prevent disease, but it is good if used correctly -- as a comparison between
colonies at the same place and time -- with a mind to its limitations.

> You will make more honey in the long run with bees that survive. Even if
> you needed 2 or 3 times as many colonies to make the same amount of honey,
> it could be balanced by the savings from far lower chemical inputs, cost
> of requeening, restocking, etc.

I know this is a joke that is wearing out fast, but you won't need "2 or 3
times as many colonies to make the same amount of honey" with "bees that
survive". :)