From:
Richard Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:13:54 -0500
Randy, thank for very much for the detailed reply.

My follow up question then is how do the Aussie packages impact the
dynamics of hauling bees to California?  I am not a pollinator myself
and have been working on a business model that focuses purely on a
local/regional range, so I am asking purely out of interest as a
beekeeper and beekeeping in the United States.  Do the numbers coming
in from overseas and across border impact the migratory folks?

My point is that IF the number of Aussie bees displace the migratory
folks at any level its sounds as if Americans are being pitted against
Americans in attempt to squeeze every drop of profit from what ever
the business is.  I hate to sound protectionist, but with all the
POSSIBLE risks, why are beekeepers attacking themselves as opposed to
attacking the system?  I understand why folks are angry with the long
distance haulers that show up with no contracts, but why not the
importing of bees when we have plenty of American beekeepers willing
to do the job?

Just a curious question.

BTW, I hope to get a chance to hear you speak this Saturday in
Indianapolis and thanks for taking so much of the research you are
doing regardless of scale on your own shoulders.

Cheers!

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio