From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2009 17:47:56 EST
The HFCS lab test is relatively simple, compared to many.  When we  tested
for HMF and for Aflatoxins, we didn't see any good correlation between
appearance and quality.

We did find, and some beekeepers have not liked us saying this, that
although there were problems reported with bad batches of HFCS from suppliers,  we
also found examples of layering in beekeeper tanks -probably because  each batch
of HFCS was dumped on top of the remains of previous batches.

Honest beekeepers, who admitted to keeping syrup from the previous year,
those with tanks as outside storage, tanks under a lean to, or even  inside on
the south side of a metal warehouse against the sun - and lots of  containers in
CA out in fields getting hot, often had elevated HMF.

We also found beekeepers with metal tanks on trucks and heaters in the  tanks
to make the syrup flow faster - and yes, not surprisingly, the HMF levels
were elevated.  HMF is catalyzed by metal, and the reaction is temperature
driven.

Does that mean that syrup from the distributor may not have gone bad?   No.

Does it mean that every beekeeper has an HMF problem? Again, No.

BUT, like it or not, it does mean that beekeepers have to exercise caution
handling and storing this product.  Metal, heat, and especially metal plus
heat are a bad combination.  And, new batches should be placed in clean,  empty
tanks, NOT dumped on old syrup.

Jerry

**************Need a job? Find an employment agency near you.
(http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=employment_agencies&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000003)