From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2008 08:54:35 -0700
> I recommend placing these frames in a super *below* the brood nest of good
> colonies, especially at times when little honey is coming in. They do not
> want honey below the nest. Normally honey is stored above the nest, away
> from the entrance. In most cases they will either move it up, eat it, or
> throw it out.

Good recommendation.

For us below works best in fall, and the honey that is not thrown out mostly
winds up in the brood chambers.  That is fine if you want to have lots of
stores for winter, and do not hope to extract the honey and feed sugar
instead, say if that is your philosophy, or if the price of honey is very
low which it is not presently.

The reason we place the combs above as described and in early honey season
was that we want to have the honey liquefied and stored in supers, not taken
down.  We also did not want the granulation thrown out the door, which it
can be if placed below.  Also, if you use excluders, and place a super of
granulation below the BC, you may wind up with brood in that box --
especially if you do not have supers on or they are full -- which may be
undesirable.

So as with most beekeeping the decision requires balancing priorities, with
consideration for economic factors.

(I wonder if we shouldn't try to use subject lines that actually describe
the topic.  They are easy to change when the topic changes, or if the
original subject line says nothing about the matter under discussion?  I've
changed this one twice.)

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/
---
A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients
to plant vines. -- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)