From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:16:23 -0500
Peter said:
> Really, the first
> rule is to have a business that is in the black. Naturally one can't
> hope to do this with diseased bees,

The above is not the same as my rule:
 You need healthy bees?

Peter said:
> Beekeeping is not farming like raising raisins.

Bob replies with a grin!
Raisins one needs to steer clear of in California. China raisens have run
the costs down so much many California raisen growers have plowed perfectly
good raisen grape vines out and are planting almond trees.
I would definately not get into raisens!

> Peter said:
> In fact, I don't know anybody who doesn't "really look at costs".

Lets say most do not look at costs the way I do. Saving money for some is
driving 10 miles out of the way to buy 10 gallons of fuel 10 cents a gallon
cheaper!

Niche markets work well for sideline beeks but do not happen overnight.

All the things you said take time away from the large beekeepers everyday
operation of caring for many hives.

Diversifying certainly hedges your risk.

The big money in beekeeping will never be made in the size operation you
describe. Although perhaps the most common operation.

teach?
My students usually quit after the first day.

 commercial beeks carry 10 lids at a time instead of a single lid

many work all day without a break

. hobby beeks use shallow supers. Many use deeps and they can weight 80 lbs.
and up a piece.

 We work in 100F. weather and at times in rain with upset bees. Hobby beeks
pick the perfect day.

I have had two hernia surgeries and a rotator cuff in the last six years.

 has a member of a bee lab or hobby beek had those which are common in
commercial beek circles.
Most commercial beeks are getting older. Forty years ago I could (and often
did) jump from the top of a semi to the ground. Now I need help getting
down!

Will my replacement please email  , call or snail mail!

bob

Bob says with a grin:

 Perhaps Jim & Peter could become my students? Lets see. Free labor and
worth a few grins and I could give each a certificate printed off my
computer at the end of the season in a cheap wal mart frame.
Hmmm. Perhaps I could even charge for teaching?