Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2009 13:25:31 -0500
The problem with threads like this is the bubble is quickly lost. Most of us
have an issue with the premise that CCD is caused by Imid/pesticides, and
that is what elicits the response - that they are not linked.

I do not think anyone would dismiss any pesticide as having the capacity to
kill bees, so if the issue is limited to that point, you can have
discussion. That is the area that it seems Randy and Jerry are in talking
with Bayer. And all are talking and it appears that the discussions are
amicable.

It is when you make the leap to CCD, which is still in the investigation
mode, that problems arise, ergo, "A Spring without Bees". Comment on the
book was asked for and comment was received.

Unfortunately there are beekeepers who insist on coupling Imid/pesticides
with CCD but their evidence is anecdotal and not backed by good science.

I have found that beekeepers are fairly unanimous when pesticides do cause
bee kills. A while back there was that kind of response to encapsulated
pesticides that resulted in major bee kills. What is interesting about this
issue is the non-uniformity of response. My guess is, if it had not been
overly hyped as causing CCD by some beekeepers on national television, but
that a pesticide problem existed and allowed a measured response, this might
have been a very different discussion.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine