From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:11:27 +0000
In message
<[log in to unmask]>, Peter L
Borst <[log in to unmask]> writes
>If our model reflects the actual proximate mechanism for
>the selection of queen larvae in honeybee colonies, this
>would give rise to paternal lineages of royal families,
>which indeed are only rarely found in the worker caste.
>
>from "Rare royal families in honeybees, Apis mellifera"  Moritz, et al
>Naturwissenschaften (2005) 92: 488–491

Hmmm...................I wonder. There are a few things that could be at
play here and perhaps none of them are actually all that important to us
the beekeepers.

IF, and in a practical situation I have my doubts, this is valid it may
well be little more than one drones progeny at the egg or young larva
stage having more of a 'CHOOSE ME' kind of pheromone than others, and
this tells us nothing about the qualities of the offspring for us as
beekeepers.

However, going back a few years, when we brought in queens from Hawaii
(Kona carniolans) and also from breeders in California (Vaca Valley,
best queens I ever got) and also Midnites from Yorks in Georgia, it was
very noticeable (ok, glaringly obvious) that these dark queens had open
mated to a selection of drones, and many yellow or yellowish progeny
were present in all types (least in the Vaca Valley ones).

If allowed, for whatever reason, to end up in a swarming condition and
the virgins were being produced it was easily noticeable that their
colouration was across the same range and broadly in proportion to the
workers in the colony. If dark bees were uncommon in the hive you only
got a few dark virgins, if on the other there were a preponderance of
dark workers you got a preponderance of dark virgins. This is not
consistent with a rare patriline being selected.

--
Murray McGregor