From:
Griggs Mike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2008 09:25:28 -0500
Peter wrote:  .... If this would work...

I think that there are ways to make it work--and not through negligence.

Disruption of major life processes of pests, diseases & vectoring
situations can eliminate many of the issues dealt with by chemical
treatments.  There is a time cost and I doubt all these classic
cultural control mechanisms can be practiced by all commercial
models.  I have been working out a mix of techniques that are helping
my operation.  I'm a building sideliner--5 barrels/year now with a
good retail market for honey, candle, & other value added products.
The other half of my honey is sold wholesale.

I'm in my 5thish year of working out details of not using prophylactic
chemical treatments in my hives and at least 10 years of thinking
about it.  I work extensively with IPM (day job) and do not mind chems
& I have dusted with tetracycline for suspicious foulbrood conditions
with destruction of colonies & removal & destruction of suspicious
frames.  I feed sugar solution & use pollen patties during extreme dry
August and/or prior to this winter based on need.

 From my perspective breeding for mite resistance is perhaps our first
line of defense.   I rely on the work of others for my base stock.
Though I have not purchased a queen in four years.  Our club has
started a queen swap-- best of the best from around the region in
hopes of providing some intra-regional diversity.

I select for & raising queens from my best hives--low mites, good
production, winter well & have a reasonable demeanor. I re-queen
yearly with cells.--The broodless period this creates is helpful in
breaking mite production cycle. I try to do raise queens & make splits
mid-July after the Basswood flow.  I carry my strong colonies trough
the spring --for spring honey production.  I do loose swarms.  --This
still needs some fine tuning.

Sugar dusting helps. It knocks down a small proportion of mites from
each repeated treatment which keeps the mite populations from exploding.

Drone trapping --but only two frames per hive (to hard to dig out the
bottom two from a strong hive).  I also have taken to scraping down
the frames rather than allow hives to clean the dead drone pupae out.--
I believe that worker removal of parasitized & potentially virus/
disease infected drone larvae may spread virus or disease.
Scrapings are disposed of carefully so bees cannot forage on the
remains.

I make midsummer splits ((after Basswood) which are my nucs for the
following year.  I break up poor colonies--poor and old frames are
culled at this time.

An apiary is treated as a multi-queen hive.  A problem found in one
hive may signal the same problem in other hives at that same site.

In my area we have a strong August dearth.  Caging queens during this
period  (14 days--followed by a quick feed (substitute & sugar soln)
is showing promise in disrupting that rapid rise in mite numbers in
the fall.  I can still harvest the goldenrod flow--which can be half
our honey volume/year whereas many are pulling honey & treating to
prevent mite explosion & hive collapse.

I look with interest at a formic acid flash treatments during this
dearth period but a registered form of this needs to be available first.

I feed, if hives need (not every year)  & wrap for winter  (always).

I'm still experiencing winter losses but percentages are improving
( or I've had a few lucky winters) --but am restocking with my own
nucs prepared the prior summer.

  Once I shag my day job I will further expand.  My business model
will probably lead me to a couple hundred hives at most continuing
with a half wholesale & half retail market.

So I'm thinking that IPM/reduced reliance on chems can be accomplished
in my business model, though chems will probably be an emergency tool
in times of need (only) not prophylactically applied

I'm still undecided about what I need to do about N. ceranae.  My hive
with the largest Nosema counts was my most productive this past year
and went into winter looking great.  Mixed reviews as to best
treatments adds to my reluctance to treat.

Reliance on cultural activities that disrupt  cycles of the vectors
ability to reproduce,  reduction of virus & disease levels in the
apiary and nutrition assistance as needed, with a dash of registered
treatments as needed- are working for me YMMV.

Mike Griggs
Entomologist/ Support Scientist
Biological Integrated Pest Management Research Unit
USDA ARS, Robert W. Holley Center for Agriculture and Health
Tower Road, Ithaca, NY  14853
http://www.ars.usda.gov/naa/ithaca/BioIPM

phone:  607-255-1085
fax:        607-255-1132