From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:53:09 -0400
Folks,

The following is an editorial on the "attitudes" going about BEE-L
lately.  I try to keep a loose grip on "posts with attitude".  Were I to
keep as tight a grip as some feel I should there would be very little
traffic on the list (some would opine this would be a good thing).
After years of moderation I have learned to recognize very early on
posts that have the potential to escalate into incivility.  If I nip
things in the bud, discussion suffers.  Yet the further I let things go
the harder it gets to keep things in check.  Posts that attack one's
knowledge of basic math, or posts that start out with, "So and so
accused ..." are NEGATIVE posts.  Regardless of the content that follows
a negative assertion, once a slap is delivered it is hard for the
assailed party to turn the other cheek.  And responses that up the ante
(I was assaulted so I have every right to hit back with more force) most
often die in my inbox.  Realize that sometimes the best way to handle an
affront is simply to walk away (or on the internet, sometimes the best
and most effective response is no response at all).

Please folks, PLEASE!  Check your ego at the door.  Confront ideas,
stupidity, theories, postulates, dogma, ... But DO NOT confront the
authors.  Keep the discussion civil or simply do not post!

Aaron Morris - wishing we could all just get along!