ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Wayne Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 06:41:46 -0800

I think the following idea might help make a difference in getting the
attention of politicians on scientific matters in the public limelight.

Here's the idea:

Get enough scientists, or people who are interested in science, to even
modestly inundate politicians with books such as the following:

   /Power to Save the World, The Truth about Nuclear Energy by Gwyneth
Cravens, 2007/

/Physics for Future Presidents by Richard A. Muller, 2008./

Each individual might consider sending one to their favorite legislators
or members of the executive branch with the suggestion that if they
can't use it, then they can donate it to a library in the area they
represent.

If enough people send them, then I think the possibility of raising the
attention of politicians with such books and their topics might go along
way towards getting them to act by knowing the facts.  If not, then
perhaps the libraries and public will benefit from the donations.

I happened to choose nuclear power and physics in this instance, but it
could be equally applicable to evolution, energy, medicine, physics,
biology or other areas of science where there is controversy.

We need a president who took as much interest in science as Jefferson or
Kennedy. Maybe Obama will come through. At least, at this point, he has
said he'd double funding to the NIH.

Comments?
--

*            'That's one small step for a man; one giant leap for
             mankind.' Neil Armstrong

**               A thin man ran... makes a large stride... left
               planet... pins flag on moon... on to Mars!*
//
                    Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>