ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:25:17 -0400

William;

        It seems to me if you want to introduce cosmic radiation then
an external source of alpha and beta radiation is not going to do it.
You need a source of cosmic radiation. If however you are interested
in the cloud chamber then thorium will do just fine.

        There is a problem that has been touched on here that labels
may have a hard time engaging visitors to look at and to understand
cosmic radiation. They are random and take some patience to observe.
I imagine a close to ideal arrangement where the visitor steps into a
cloud chamber on the floor with a cloud chamber overhead so that
visitors can more easily visualize the cosmic rays passing though
them. It is not the best practice to encourage visitors to lay on top
of the cloud chamber and anyway it is not easy to see the cosmic rays
passing through yourself as you lay on the cloud chamber. Any
engineering solutions?

        But I think that it worth the effort of testing labels and
talking to visitors until we get it right.

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Weiss, Ph.D