ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 12:41:20 -0700
From:
David Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
7bit

Bethany,
        Geez... we've been debating this issue here for the last couple
of days, but you are looking at it's application in a real world educational
setting...
        The question of breath verses depth of exploration is an important
one... but I'm not sure that you need to choose one over the other...
I think with 5th graders (and most of us) it is important to be exposed
to a wide range of experiences and ideas, and it is important to explore
some things in greater depth.
        Currently working on a Ph.D., I will know a whole lot about a very
small part of the world... and it is important for me to investigate it to
that depth... but it is so important for kids to have exposure to a wide
variety of ideas, thoughts, and experiences since they all develop
different interests, and learn in different ways...
        In an ideal constructivist world we would all recreate all of the
knowledge that exists, but there just isn't enough time, so there are
some things we need to learn in a superficially.  If they grab our interest
maybe we will pursue them further.
        So do a bit of both... expose the kids to lots of stuff... and let
them cover a couple of things in depth... just follow your instincts as
a teacher to feel out what is working for the kids you are working with.

Dave Taylor