Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2008 17:49:31 GMT
>>...mellifera... Apis cerana other than a possible carrier of these mites is not a problem for beeks as the two will not cross.

If resistant to mites/disease cerana arrives in the US and it can take the northern winters, it may just replace the EHB in the feral population in much of the country just like the AHB dominates the feral landscape across the US south-west.

It's conceivable managed colonies may have no choice but go the cerana way then.  Other than possibly hurt sentiment, I am not sure of all the pros and cons of such a change-over.

Waldemar