From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2008 17:31:45 +0000
In message <002b01c95167$f00af0e0$0500000a@ari71aa1cf24c5>, Ari Seppälä
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>I could ask if there is any other source of protein to bees than
>pollen. Anyone know how much there is proteins in nectar ? Honey has,
>but it comes from pollen in honey.

Protein levels of up to 0.4% are common, however two types in particular
stand out with levels much higher than that. Calluna vulgaris and
Leptospermum scoparium (Ling heather and Manuka) normally have protein
levels above 1%, sometimes close to 2%. These types are thixotropic,
partly as a result.

No direct experience with Manuka, but Calluna makes a less than ideal
wintering food due to the protein content. The bees are unable to digest
it properly and need be void their faeces more often as a result. Most
winters this is not an issue but in the event of long periods without
flight, esp if combined with other stresses, can result in dysentry.
This is where this subject comes back to the thread
title...........dysentry spreads nosema (of the apis type at least)
fast.

.
--
Murray McGregor