From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:43:35 +0100
Randy Oliver wrote:

> Stan, I've always noted the same in queenless laying worker
> colonies--EFB-like symptoms and chalkbrood.  I've never seen this
> mentioned before now--do the rest of you see this?

Yes, EFB-like symptoms - but not normally EFB.
Surely there is a simple explanation for this?  The colony is collapsing and
the brood is all drone in worker cells, so it is neglected.  Neglected brood
is not properly fed, so the larvae twist out of position as they do with EFB
where the larvae also starve.  Chalkbrood will be exacerbated as the brood
is not kept warm when neglected and the lower temperature suits chalkbrood
better.

Perhaps true EFB would be seen if the bacteria were present, as reduced
feeding would cause the larvae to die from EFB.

Best wishes
Peter Edwards
beekeepers at stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/