From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 23:00:36 -0500
“In short, the more "W-drones," the shorter the effective generational
interval, and the smaller the genetic population size--both negative
consequences.”

Randy, can you explain what is meant by “effective generational interval”
and how having worker laid drones would cause a reduction in it?  Also, how
does the level of “W-drones” affect a reduction in “genetic population
size”?  And again, how common is it that workers lay eggs in a “normal”
hive, and what would cause them to lay eggs other than the abnormal
situation of not having a queen for an extended period of time?  In other
words what would be the incentive?  What would be the advantage
in “cheating” in the first place? Also, can anyone tell me what the chances
are of worker laid drones passing on their genes are?  Because either these
drones are removed because they can pass on their genes or because they
can't.  Does the evidence suggest that worker laid drones effectively serve
as a last ditch way for a bee chromosome to make another bee chromosome?  A
lot of questions, I know.  I hope you are up to sorting some of this out
for some of us.  As alway, thanks.

Steve Noble