HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2008 14:20:16 -0600
Bob,

How about the article by Barbara Voss from 2005 (American Anthropologist
107:3, "From Casta to Californio: Social Identity and the Archaeology of
Culture Contact"). It was recently awarded the AAA Willey prize as the best
archaeology paper published in the American Anthropologist over a period of
three years. It's a great article.

For the African Burial Ground, you could consider all or part of the final
report that's on the web... there's a good chapter on the community
engagement aspects.

http://www.africanburialground.gov/ABG_FinalReports.htm
the main page has some other links...
http://www.africanburialground.gov/ABG_Main.htm

For other stuff in contemporary context, Shannon Dawdy's 2006 article in AA
on the post Katrina work was also great.

2006. The Taphonomy of Disaster and the (Re)formation of New Orleans.
American Anthropologist. 108(4): 719-730.

I'd also suggest the African Diaspora Archaeology Newlsetter as a great
source...lots of good articles. My students like reading it. It's located at
:

http://www.diaspora.uiuc.edu/newsletter.html

For recent work on creolization and related ideas have a look at Chris
Fennell's work....He is probably be best guide as to which article.

and finally, not to toot my own horn -- oh heck why not --  but if you want
something on Freedmen's Town here in Houston, recently I (with David Bruner
and Robert Marcom)  published a piece in the  Bulletin of Texas Archeology
entitled:

"Urban Archeology and the Pressures of Gentrification: Claiming, Naming, and
Negotiating 'Freedom' in Freedmen's Town, Houston"

If you want a PDF let me know, since it's less likely to be on your shelf.
It's fairly accessible reading, I think. Contains both archaeological
ethnography and archaeology data.

cheers,

carol
Carol McDavid, Ph.D.
Executive Director, Community Archaeology Research Institute, Inc. (CARI)
Co-Director, Yates Community Archaeology Project
Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of Houston
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Rice University
1638 Branard
Houston, TX 77006
www.publicarchaeology.org