HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2008 06:01:00 -0500
Dear All,

I have a Bristol-glazed stoneware bottle with a still partially-legible paper label on it.  While we have photographed the label for posterity, I'd like to look at longer-term conservation.  Unfortunately, it might take a while to get around to this (artefacts from the second half of the 19th-century aren't usually a conservation priority in the UK), so I was wondering if anyone might have tips on short-term stabilisation to avoid further deterioration in the interim.

From the broader perspective, the label is for furniture polish from the W.P Adshead firm, active 1859-1912.

 Rather appropriately given the query here, ARBO brand sealants from successor firm Adshead Ratcliffe are apparently now being used for the conservation and preservation of a historically-important WWII-era wooden vessel (see page 2 of the following document: http://www.arbo.co.uk/newsletter-sep-2007.pdf).

Thanks in advance,

Alasdair Brooks