HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2008 21:04:40 -0700
The ambassador from Maryland in the New Amsterdam Colony was Augustine
Heerman from Maryland and there are further connections in the early history
of the colony and there. He was also thought to have introduced the Dutch to
tobacco. The Dutch called him the "Czech". His warehouse site remains were
excavated in late winter by archaeologists in 1984. (Grossman and
Associates, et al) which I also worked on. There is also a brick house in
Maryland near his original site all the bricks are laid on end instead by
length.

In the spirit of the conference which I won't be attending (watch that rough
rainy weather there) I wonder if anyone on the list would like to read about
the other "Virginia" in Maine that was settled at the same time as the
settlement at Jamestown in Virginia, where the Mayflower was heading which
it did actually land in as described. ("The Land of Bad People" 07/06/2007
http://www.timesrecord.com/website/archives.nsf/56606056e44e37508525696f00737257/8525696e00630dfe0525731000589fe6?OpenDocument)

My favorite passenger was Isaac Allerton, a Puritan, but others, the
Presbyterians were of a greater number, along with the Pilgrims in what
became Massachusetts. Some of those from the Charles River later left to
settle Setauket, Long Island, NY.

Issac Allerton, a passenger on the Mayflower, had a warehouse in New
Amsterdam, a large ship "Hope" a home in New Haven, and is buried today next
to Yale University in Connecticut. A large street, off the exit of America's
oldest motor parkway, between the Bronx Botanical Gardens and the Bronx Zoo
is named after him. He was arguably (and there laid the rub) thought "second
in command" at Plymouth, across the street from the leader and confused with
the governor's assistant, John Alder. James Deetz "In Small Things
Forgotten" describes the discovery of artifacts from his half-built
structure in Massachusetts by an architect.

The Isaac Allerton Warehouse remains might lie under the large parking lot
in the South Street Seaport Historic District in New York City. His business
relations were involved in larger landholdings in Maryland and left for
there later after the outcomes of Jacob Leisler's Rebellion who was exhumed
and reburied with honors under William and Mary after his hanging.