HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2007 16:55:46 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Hello Again List,
I really appreciate the dialogue that has opened regarding these digital resources. The SHA board makes the decisions, and us here at the website attempt to fulfill these orders to the best of our ability and also provide feedback to everyone regarding new capabilities of the website, and offer the membership and the board new options to promote the SHA to continue publication of the journal (and provide the extras including those awesome Parks Canada pubs, the Historic Bottle Website etc.)  

The website, and publications in the digital age as Tim points out, are the real frontlines of this organization for the future. We (collective everyone) are still figuring out the best mediation of technology, digital publications, and print resources. This is, and will be, an ongoing discussion for many years to come. And we welcome this sort of conversation.

For those of you attending the SHA Conference in Albuquerque, I urge you to come to a new feature of the conference.  On Saturday the 12th of January, I am hosting two (hour-long) website sessions. The first session will be particularly focused on having input from the membership about the website, and a brief presentation on some of the new features of the site that some of the members may or may not know about.  This is a good venue to come talk to me personally, the mysterious webmaster, about your problems and concerns or praise (at least some of that please) with the website, what you would like to see the website do in the future, etc. All comments during this session will help us steer the future of the website, and provide feedback to the members of the Website Editorial Advisory Board. 

The second web session, on Saturday afternoon, will be a coming out party for Bill Lindsey who operates the Historic Bottle Website, formerly of the BLM, and now adopted by the SHA. Bill will provide a brief tour of the site, and what he wants to add in the future, and will also be happy to answer all your bottle-geek questions. 

Thank you all for your comments, and I hope to see some of you in Albuquerque. Have a great holiday season,
Chris> Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:54:05 -0800> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: SHA Journal> To: [log in to unmask]> > In support of Carol's comments, I have to add that as somebody who has been in the field excavating, analyzing, researching, teaching, etc. in Mexico for about 19 months now, I have found the ability to access historical archaeology (and other journals) online invaluable. There are many, many articles, especially those published in HA that simply aren't available here outside of Mexico City. For many scholars here, it really is the only way to get access to current publications (even the mail service can't be counted on!). For me, it has meant that instead of having to put the "research and reading" part of my dissertation research on hold until I get back to the US (or until a long suffering colleague, friend or family member can get to the library, scan an article, and email it to me), I can be researching and reading as I'm excavating and analyzing. It is a wonderful resource that I'm very grateful for, as are many of the scholars here who won't> be shortly returning to a major research university in the states with extensive library services. As "old fashioned" as I am (love having the paper copies bound up on my shelves to thumb through...), if the choice were one or the other of the two, I would argue for PDF versions available online every time. This isn't just because of how easy it has made my life during the last couple of years, but mostly because I now understand how vital such availability is to scholars in developing countries.> > Elizabeth> > > ----- Original Message ----> From: Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>> To: [log in to unmask]> Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 2:42:47 PM> Subject: Re: SHA Journal> > I echo Robert's comments, and only want to add that having the journal > online is especially helpful to scholars overseas, where university > libraries often don't carry this particular journal. Some do, but unless the > uni has a faculty person with a special interest, coverage is spotty.> > We also need to remember that even though we do have a business office (and > they do a great job) the lion's share of the work of the society is still > volunteer. If putting part of the journal online saves these volunteers > time, and saves the society money, and expands access, then I'm all for it. > I did have some difficulty accessing something I was looking for recently, > but the webmaster provided very quick and efficient help.> > I haven't read the newest print issue of the journal, so can't comment if > there have been recent changes in editorial content or quality. But I have > no problems going to the web site for reviews, and offering them to the > public for free is great.> > Carol> > ******************************************> Carol McDavid, Ph.D.> Executive Director, Community Archaeology Research Institute, Inc.> Co-Director, Yates Community Archaeology Project> Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of Houston> 1638 Branard> Houston, TX 77006> www.publicarchaeology.org> > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Robert Dean" <[log in to unmask]>> To: <[log in to unmask]>> Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 2:04 PM> Subject: Re: SHA Journal> > > >I feel compelled to reiterate Paul Courtney's comment on the benefit of the> > presence of electronic versions of the SHA book reviews on the internet, > > and> > include my own.> >> > I make wide use of free electronic sources of out-of-print or hard to> > acquire (sometimes reference-only) books, texts, reports, etc available on> > the internet. I would be at a loss without them, not to mention I would > > not> > be able to produce the same level of research. In fact, there are many> > benefits to electronic versions over paper, including search-ability,> > portability, copying and pasting longer quotations, and reproduction of> > images (important to keep the quality of historic maps and photos, which> > doesn't happen in photocopies of photocopies, etc.)> >> > I applaud any organization willing to put even part of their publications > > on> > the web (especially free to non-members, as the SHA book reviews are).> > Increased and more public dissemination of information in electronic > > format> > through the internet is beneficial to better educating others - who might> > not have access to the information otherwise, as well as in preservation > > of> > information for the future.> >> > -Robert M Dean> > > ____________________________________________________________________________________> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

ATOM RSS1 RSS2