ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2008 23:01:27 -0400
7bit
From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>

Soil would be a source of microbes, but I have run plenty of successful
compost systems of various kinds withoout adding soil.  There's a lot of
folklore being passed off as "facts" out there with respect to composting.
As my friend the compost guru says, compost happens.  If you put a bunch of
biomass in a container and keep it even slightly moist, it will decompose.
There's lots to experiment with to make the system faster, hotter, whatever,
but I've never had organic matter refuse to compost, no matter how much I
ignored people's advice about what I "must" do.

Dave Smith

--
David L. Smith
Da Vinci Science Center

Everything that needs to be said has already been said. But since no one was
listening, everything must be said again.  -- Andre Gide