From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2008 14:03:02 -0400
>"I am wondering if the package industry is spreading something out there".

Personally, I deplore any sort of scapegoating. First, it appears that
whatever it is, it's already everywhere (meaning most states). Second,
beekeeping what it is -- it is very hard not to be "down the road" from a
large scale operation of some sort, so our bees are generally going to have
what everybody else has. Third, we should try to think of this as a problem
for us all, rather than us and them.

If there are people who have healthy bees, healthy stock, etc. they should
be sharing what it is they do and do not do, so that others can pick up on
what works. Beyond that, if you really have better stock, people may wish to
purchase it. So, therefore, you need to know what is causing this problem
and see that you don't have it. Otherwise people will be accusing you of
spreading it -- which you might actually be doing.

Finally, I want to say that from my perspective, we all need to be able to
shift gears quickly. The old ways are good, the organic ways are good, etc.
But what we really need is something that takes into consideration all of
the actual problems and presents a *better* way of dealing with them. I
would rather disavow everything I have ever said and move forward -- than to
stick in some misguided rut.

pb