Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 07:59:38 -0600
> My question, which I address to all is: Wouldn’t a simple plan of
> selecting from your best performers, automatically be selecting colonies
> that cope best with the ‘environmental factors’ as defined by Phillips
> 1918,  which include mites as such.  In other words, let the colonies
> dictate which traits are essential for them to cope with the environmental
> factors,  if hygenic behavior takes a second seat to grooming behavior, so
> be it?

Selection using only the best of the best is a pretty typical selection
method.  It seems sensible, and does work, but, if overdone, can lead to a
dead end unless new stock is constantly brought in.

On the other hand, elimination of colonies that do not meet a minimum
standard or those which exhibit negative traits from the breeding pool is
less likely to result in such problems.

The former approach presupposes we can identify all the traits that we want
and need to keep (doubtful IMO, since some are hard to spot).

The second approach presupposes only that we can recognize -- most of the
time at least -- the qualities we definitely do not want, and secondarily
that those qualities are not strongly linked to essential or desirable
qualities.