From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2008 09:46:27 -0700

> > I guess our n.y. weeds aren't as strong as randy's weeds in california.

The weeds in most of my Calif yards have been bone dry and straw-colored
since July.  Our last rain is typically in May--early May this year.

I don't see bee or brood kill even when using Miteaway in hot weather (up to
90F), even on singles (at low 80s), although the label strongly cautions
against using on small colonies.  And yes, we block off the bottom screens,
although I'm not sure that is necessary (might be better to just let the
mites drop out of the hives).

It looks like we sometimes lose a bit of eggs the first day, but the rest of
the brood looks fine.  Our humidity is quite low, although I don't know if
that has anything to do with it.

For the first day or two, the exhaust from the entrance of the colony will
stop your breath due to the formic fumes.  But up on top, the bees will be
walking all over the pads, and feeding normally on pollen supp and syrup.

Randy Oliver