From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2008 08:08:32 -0700
 The aim of the present work
was to evaluate the effect of a propolis ethanolic extract (PEE) against
P. larvae and its potential for the control of AFB...
Reply:No need to evaluate the effect of propolis for control of foul broods and other maladies as it works quite well. Have talked about that for many years taking propolis and grinding it and making propolis paddies during the early 1990s during our first regression down in size from 5.4mm to 50.mm - 5.1mm sizing. OUr hives lived with varroa, but the secondaries were eating us alive and that was reason we fine tuned the sizing more for harmony with Nature and went to 4.9mm to gain control. Well we gained control and foul levels dropped to 1-2% and then.....we didn't even need the usage of the propolis paddies anymore!! But all we were told was like the SC......prove it! Well, glad to see someone has been looking, but instead of propolis ethanolic extract, would recommend just straight taking propolis and grinding it. Also be aware!!! Propolis has a higher affinity for absorption of chemicals/treatments for contamination and you need "clean propolis to
 really work!!! for the bees besides humans too!!".So it having to run clean to get the clean stuff to use, then SC should be considered also, for then stronger propolis also and fine tuning sizing, so even in end propolis isn't needed.Dee A. Lusby