From:
Peter Detchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2008 13:42:11 +0900
Thanks for your comments Bob. Randy has already chewed my ear (off list) for
leaving the microscope"under the bed". So spore counting resumes forthwith!
As regards sterilising feeders, it does no harm. In fact in my outfit,
nothing moves from one hive to another without sterilising first. We use a
sterilising solution  made with common household disinfectant (benzylkonium
chloride) for washing hive tools and smokers in the apiary, so its always to
hand. The plastic feeders after washing out are filled with this and left
soaking for a few minutes before rinsing and returning to their hive.

With respect to feeding protein and its effect on Nosema, I am aware of the
axiom stated by older generation of beekeepers here, that "you feed Nosema
when you feed bees", so I will be very interested to follow that discussion.
Don't think I can contribute though. Sounds as though N ceranae afflicted
bees can't be fed because of intestinal damage?

PeterD