From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2008 09:01:32 -0800
> -- Bill T <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
... I have yet to meet anyone who controls
> mites with no treatment or hive manipulation (drone
> trapping). I have read about them here on the BeeL, but
> anyone can say anything here with no proof at all.

Even the proof hinges on one thing… ‘Trust‘!

I don’t use any treatments or hive manipulation to control varroa,  in fact, I don’t even bother monitoring varroa.   Now that is not to say I don’t have any losses due to varroa.   I do have sometimes 0% and occasionally as high as 5% percent of my colonies crashing from varroa in September and October in any given year.  And winter kills usually range from 5% to as high as 20%, a mixture of causes ranging from varroa related, starvation, and small clusters. …But that is good enough success rate for me in exchange for no drugs in the hives.

As far as <anyone can say anything here with no proof at all.>
This is true. BUT one will NEVER believe ANY proof without trust!

I tell my customers that I don’t use any varroa controls.  They don’t ask for proof, because they know me, and trust me.  But they are welcome to “go somewhere else” if they don’t trust me, or believe me.

I as well, tell beekeepers that I do not use any varroa controls, and they are welcome to ask any questions or investigate any way they choose.  But if they are requiring proof, I don’t know what proof I could EVER give that will satisfy any beekeeper that refuses to trust.

Therefore, it all boils down to mater of trust.  If one doesn’t trust someone, don’t listen, “go somewhere else”.

Joe

Hints to Farmers-
Keep plenty of cows and bees, as
the surest way of having milk and