From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2008 20:11:16 -0400
On 13-Aug-08, at 3:36 PM, James Fischer wrote:

> Just to complicate matters further, I've run
> 9-frame supers on 10-frame brood chambers
> for years, which is yet another approach.

hi Jim and all

I use 9 frames in both brood and honey boxes.  My reasoning, which
has been confirmed many times helping others with their bees, is that
you can hardly remove frames(self spacing) from 10 frame brood boxes
without gelignite or some other brute force method.  All my honey
supers(mediums) are equipped with 9 frame spacers.  I'm a small
beekeeper and still use a 4 frame extractor(stainless) that I've had
more than 30 years.  As a result I use the centre frame of each honey
super for cut comb honey.  The centre frame is empty without
foundation or even starter strips.  This works well as long as the
frames on either side are drawn.  The other 8 frames make 2 balanced
loads in the extractor.  I was considering going to 8 frames in some
supers because several  people have stated that you get more honey in
an 8 frame setup than 9 or 10.  I read an article in a recent ABJ
where a well known researcher(can't remember the name) suggested that
the frame spacing should be consistent throughout the hive to assist
in ventilation.  All my equipment is 10 frame standard Langstroth.
I've heard of using follower boards with 8 or 9 frames in the brood
box but haven't tried them.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada