From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2008 06:33:31 -0400
My point in mentioning Liz Brooks' talk from VELB was precisely this: we do
not need a WHO document in order to recognize unpalatable marketing.  The
other thing Liz mentioned was what she called the smell test.  Even if
something is legal and even if it falls within what is ethically allowable
for a company to do to increase its own revenues, you may think it stinks.
Once you have identified the source of the bad smell, you can decide what
you will do about it.  It may mean that you don't want any products near you
that might emanate a similar odor. It may mean that you call the odor to the
attention of the responsible party, and tell them what you'd like them to do
about it, and what consequences it will have for them as far as you're
concerned if they don't.
It's not as though we are compelled to embrace every product in the world,
no matter how ridiculous, in lack of a WHO resolution about how it may be
marketed.  Unless the WHO Code has been incorporated into the laws where you
live, it doesn't give one much more leverage than the smell test anyway.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway, where the WHO Code, despite being endorsed by many
organizations, has no legal standing whatsoever, and more's the pity.