From:
Henya KnitMammy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2008 16:27:02 -0400
  Hello,
I apologize if it is not an appropriate post. I am shure someone will let me
know right away , but I do not have anyone whom I can consult on this
situation at this point. Also I began doubting my own assessment of the
situation. And that is the scariest part for me.
   So , here is the situation
my daughter is almost 8 month old.  Baby # 6 . High risk pregnancy , normal
, totally uneducated delivery . Weight 8lb.  Nursed for the first time in
the delivery room. Then nursed every hour for the first few days. Then
nursed on demand. She was nursing like a pro and by day 5 regained her birth
weight. I saw LC ,  just in case. Milk came in when she was about 10 days
old. This is more or less normal for me. As soon as the milk came in she
started having trouble , spiting up , sometimes thoroughly drenching both of
us , arcing up and crying during a feed , swallowing a few times and then
screaming until she burped . I saw another IBCLC , with whom I have a very
long personal relationship. She has seen all of my kids. She diagnosed
reflux. After speaking to her , and to my pediatrician I made a decision to
try and avoid medicating the baby. The dosage was higher than what gastro
gave me for a bleeding ulcer during a previous pregnancy.  We did some
homeopathic remedies , also I am on the strict no milk , no soy , no gluten
diet. Also my milk supply was never grate , I am taking several herbal
remedies to bust it. I in addition to that , have put the baby in the infant
seat , and put this seat on my bed , so she is next to me all the time. I am
partially disabled so we hand out together all the time. She has also been
diagnosed with low muscle tone .
     Now , 7 month later she is doing a lot better. She can tolerate larger
feeds , being placed on her stomach and handled without throwing up.
She weight only 14 lb , but she is growing steadily. She is definitely needs
some physical therapy and she will be getting it.
    This brings me to the reason I am writing. Last Thursday I had a meeting
with a representative from Early Intervention to get this therapy. I am
still reallying. The pearson was very hostile to me , and seemed very angry.
During the meting that took 3.5  hours I requested permission to have the
baby brought in so I can feed her , the women conducting the meting
pretended not to hear me. She was appalled that the baby is still getting
only brestmilk from the original source , that the baby does not take a
bottle at all , that the gastro did not do something , and that the baby is
not on any meds for reflux.She has insisted on putting "teach baby to take a
bottle " as a feeding therapy goal, commenting nastily that what , you don't
expect the baby to nurse until she is 3 years old . By that time I was
sufficiently intimidated , and just not said anything. At the end of the
interview she insisted on writing a note , just  in the case , for child
protection agency ,stating that the mother is aware that there is a medical
treatment for the child's problem , but she is refusing it. I made her add
that the child's pediatrician is aware of it and has no problem with my
decision. After the interview she told my case worker that my child's
problem have been cosed by me.
     I am scared that she might report me to the CPSE. Did any one dealt
with a similar situation . Can she be right ? Should I take any action or
just lie low and hope nothing happens ?
    Have anybody encountered a similar situation ?
Thank you .
Henya Kazatchkov.
Brooklyn , N.Y.