From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2008 18:52:44 -0600
Hello Gavin & All,

>The high losses cited for last winter come from real data and ring true
>around here with some beekeepers losing a high proportion of their stocks.

The deaded winter losses.

I can't count the number of articles written about wintering honeybees.

Even I have considred doing an article on wintering bees.

 Mine would most likely say take your losses in fall and do not try to
winter "dinks". Do not combine two "dinks" as all you will end up with is a
big "dink" with a poor queen!

Second that healthy *winter* bees wintering over plenty of stores and
protected from dripping moisture can take the most severe winter has to
offer.

>  After a wet summer with poor queen mating and continuing problems with
> miticide-resistant Varroa some predict a similarly poor winter to come.

Poor queen mating is always a problem in rainy weather. I have no answer for
poorly mated queens.

Mite resistant varroa:
 With thymol and formic available I would drop fluvalinate as soon as
resistant mites are found in your area. In the U.S. we have not seen any
varroa resistant to those products but both are temperature dependent and in
my opinion you need to treat twice a year. Rotating between the two. Formic
spring and thymol fall is what I do. Its been ten years this year since we
found fluvalinate resistant varroa and 8 years for coumaphos resistant
varroa. I switched to thymol as soon as legally available and added formic
since first on the market.

Yet all the bee supply houses still sell both products. Both are worthless
as a varroa control in our area.

>It's not a CCD thing, and, although there are many that would like to think
>so, it doesn't seem to be a pesticide thing either.

I can't tell you the number of claimed CCD cases I have looked at. None
really fit the described symptoms.

I will describe the most common claimed CCD symptoms I see.

All bees missing from a hive which obviously was a strong hive not long
before. ( 2 weeks?)

Spotty sealed brood over 4-5 frames. Never a solid pattern like in the CCD
photos. No eggs or larva in most cases. plenty Honey & pollen in frames.
Ovals around what used to be sealed brood. No obvious signs of disease.

No robbing at a time the bees should rob. However in some cases a dead out
is robbed but the beekeeper had not been in the yard for three weeks to a
month so hard to tell exactly how long the bees have been gone. The CCD team
says after a couple weeks the bees will rob and seems to be true from my
observations.

In almost all the cases the beekeeper says the hive was strong last time he
checked. In many cases fall treatments had been completed . In some cases a
large crop of honey was produced but when supers were pulled the bees were
gone.

No sign of the bees and no large amount of dead bees outside the entrance.

Two years ago we saw a small group of young bees and a queen. Now we see a
empty hive.
After 48 years of beekeeping I can not say I have ever saw exactly what we
are seeing now but I have to say I started seeing the problem at least two
years before David Hackenberg brought attention to the issue.

I only post the above so you U.K. beeks can compare what you see with what I
see. U.S. & Canada beeks are seeing record losses but little actually fit
the described CCD symptoms.

Good luck with your problems and email direct if you have other questions! I
will be in Texas next week but will answer when in a wireless connection
area.

bob